The Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy’s proposal for implementation of the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme ‘National Programme on High Efficiency Solar PV (Photo Voltic) Modules’ for achieving manufacturing capacity of Giga Watt (GW) scale in high efficiency solar PV modules with an outlay of Rs.4,500 crore.
Solar capacity addition presently depends largely upon imported solar PV cells and modules as the domestic manufacturing industry has limited operational capacities of solar PV cells and modules. The National Programme on High Efficiency Solar PV Modules will reduce import dependence in a strategic sector like electricity. It will also support the Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative.
Solar PV manufacturers will be selected through a transparent competitive bidding process. PLI will be disbursed for 5 years post commissioning of solar PV manufacturing plants, on sales of high efficiency solar PV modules. Manufacturers will be rewarded for higher efficiencies of solar PV modules and also for sourcing their material from the domestic market. Thus, the PLI amount will increase with increased module efficiency and increased local value addition.
The outcomes/ benefits expected from the scheme are as follows:
- Additional 10,000 MW capacity of integrated solar PV manufacturing plants,
- Direct investment of around Rs.17,200 crore in solar PV manufacturing projects
- Demand of Rs.17,500 crore over 5 years for ‘Balance of Materials’,
- Direct employment of about 30,000 and Indirect employment of about1,20,000 persons,
- Import substitution of around Rs.17,500 crore every year, and
- Impetus to Research & Development to achieve higher efficiency in solar PV modules.