SEBI circular dated 12th November, 2020 requiring additional monitoring and disclosures by debenture trustees in respect of the listed debt securities.
- SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2015 and SEBI (Debenture Trustees) Regulations, 1993 (“DT Regulations”) mandates issuers to submit information/ documents to Debenture Trustee(s). In order to enable debenture trustee(s) to discharge its obligations in respect of listed debt securities, the debenture trustee(s)
shall undertake independent periodical assessment of the compliance with covenants or terms of the issue of listed debt securities including for ‘security created’.
A. Monitoring of ‘security created’ / ‘assets on which charge is created’
- SEBI Circular No. SEBI/ HO/ MIRSD/ CRADT/ CIR/ P/ 2020/218 dated November 03, 2020, has prescribed the manner in which debenture trustees shall carry out due diligence for creation of security at the time of issuance of debt securities and as required under Regulation 15(1)(s) & 15(1)(t) of DT Regulations, debenture trustee(s) shall carry out due
diligence on continuous basis. Debenture trustee shall carry out periodical monitoring in following manner:
2.1. Debenture trustee shall incorporate the terms and conditions of periodical monitoring in the debenture trust deed wherein listed entity shall be liable to provide relevant documents/ information, as applicable, to enable the debenture trustee(s) to submit the following reports/ certification to Stock Exchange(s) within the timelines mentioned below:
2.2. For existing debt securities, listed entities and debenture trustee(s) shall enter into supplemental/amended debenture trust deed within 120 days from the date of this circular incorporating the changes in the debenture trust deed.
2.3. In case, a listed entity has more than one debenture trustee for its listed debt securities, then debenture trustees may choose a common agency for preparation of asset cover certificate.
B. Action to be taken in case of breach of covenants or terms of issue
- In case of breach of covenants or terms of the issue by listed entity, the debenture trustee shall take steps as outlined in para 6.1 and 6.3 of SEBI Circular SEBI/HO/MIRSD/CRADT/CIR/P/2020/203 dated October 13, 2020 and thereafter take necessary action as decided in the meeting of holders of debt securities in this regard.
C. Disclosure on website by debenture trustee
- The debenture trustee(s) shall make the following disclosures on their websites as specified below:
D. Reporting of regulatory compliance
- The formats for periodical reporting prescribed by SEBI Circular No. CIR/MIRSD/25/2011 dated December 19, 2011 stands rescinded and the debenture trustee(s) shall furnish revised periodical reports to SEBI in the formats as follows: